Monday, May 9, 2011

Baking Day (7-5-2011)....



As any granddaughter would say and admit... My grandmother is the best cook around.. And in my case.. i would say she is ... And since i absolutely love love love kek lapis sarawak(Sarawak layered cake) , she decided to give a try to make it . Although she didnt really know the ingredient, recipe and all, but from someone she randomly met at the hospital..=), she roughly got the recipe!!
                   

Since mothers day fall on a sunday , and i was kinda free on saturday. She decided to call on me and my cousin Natasha to help and try to make it. Like i said although she didnt really know what or how it was done, we decided to just go with the flow and use whatever intuitive we all had.. haha .. and so the baking began..!!


After shopping at carefour the day before to get some of the basic ingredients, we made the basic batter of beating the eggs with more egg yoke than the white till its a white fluffy cloud of egg stiff. Then we beat sugar, horlicks, *secret ingredient*, melted butter and  flour . Later on we mixed the two mixture together and separate it into 3 different containers. 1 container was mixed with green food colouring, 1 with red colouring and the other is the batter colour itself (we call it yellow) . Then we pre-heated the oven at 180c*.



With that we started to layer it out. First will be the yellow,then the green, yellow, red, yellow.. and then we make a stripe pattern diagonally alternating between the colour red and green, and etc. While we are baking the first SQUARE layered cake, since there was extra coloured batter left, i decided to use my creativity and make a ROUND fun cake with the extra red/green batter.
            


Everything well so well, however we forgot the most crucial part. AGGHHH!!!! hahaha .. Supposedly we had to open the Bottom&Top fire for the first 2 layers and then change it to only Top fire only. I admit I also forgot with all the excitement of the baking to change that, well, my grandma, my aunt and my cousin also forgot. Resulted to the black and burned ROUND layered cake. But cause the batter was yummilicious!! Even the burned part tasted awesome! And lucky for my the round cake made it through
with little burning at the bottom. So, sorry for the look of the cake . I forgot to beautify the cake before taking a photo.. haha .. Well, no matter how it looks like . Its sooo deliciously yummy..!! I will definitely try to make it again and make it better..!!!=)



While all this was going on, i coax my cousin Tasha to teach me how she did her awesomely and delicious Chocolate rolls. Its a Cinnamon Roll that has no cinnamon but a lots and lots of Chocolate chips...!!! It was sooo sinful...!!!! Heheheh, it took some time for the preparation as it takes a while to wait for the wet ingredients to cool down and later to wait for the yeast to rise... But the making of the rolls was relatively simple.. Hehehehe ... I think i might wanna try to make it with maybe cream cheese, jam or even peanut butter flavoured ones...That will definitely be for next time..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment