Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Warrior and Queen is my Life.... - Part III -


{Continued from Part II }

We were all in the state of shock. But knowing how serious it has become, everything went overdrive.  Everyone was trying their best to help my mom and make her everyday living as stress free and as easy on her as we all could.

We soon moved my single day bed downstairs, so she didn’t have to go up and down the stairs as much as some days even moving for her is like torture. She will get cramps so bad that all she could do was lie down and just control her breathing to lessen the pain but always with tears in her eyes. There were moments that we would moan and growl aloud as the pain was too hard for her to bare. And the worst feeling any human, child or anyone can feel is, HELPLESS-ness. And that’s how my whole family felt… =(.. We were totally helpless, as we couldn’t do anything to make it better for her.

Everything she does was torture for her, She couldn’t pass motion… couldn’t eat… couldn’t sleep properly… Everything was like a nightmare for her. And we as her kids, it broke our hearts just to see her so weak, helpless and crying all the time.


There were times the pain and ordeal was just too much for her. She would lock herself in her room and all we could her were sniffles, crying and painful moans. And in those moments, she doesn’t want anyone around her. So, my brother and I would leave our bedroom door open and our ears peeled for any calls or indication that she needed us. Which either one of us would go running and assist her with anything that she needed.

However, in June she had to be hospitalised at HUKM as they had to do regular checkups to monitor the cancer. And soon Dr. suggested my mom to start her chemotherapy, which my mom was scared as she was afraid of losing hair and with everyone telling her stories of other negative account of the chemotherapy.. She was in dilemma on whether to go thru with it or not. With the advice and moral support from my Aunts, she decided that she wants to go thru with the chemotherapy.

The saddest thing for me was that, during her time in the hospital, she wanted to eat or drink things that we healthy people took for grated. Examples like cendol, fried mee/kueyteow/meehoon, crunchy vegetables and basically almost all food groups. She couldn’t eat or swallow anything. The only thing her body would allow her to eat was porridge and soups, and the only “lauks” she can eat were the gravy of anything. Even that she could only swallow a few spoonfuls at each meal. She has always been a foodie like me, but seeing her long for things she could not have was heartbreaking. As she would tell me stories of the places she’s been in her life and good food that she enjoyed, and how she wished for anything to be able to do and eat things that she forbid herself to have all these years. And I truly regret not spending my free time, taking her out and even taking her places that she wants to go. My reasons were always NO time and NO money, oh how I wish I could take it all back and gave HER anything and everything I could. *sigh* teary*regret*

After a week or two being in the hospital, the symptoms got sooo bad that soon her body couldn’t control her bowel motions. Her body would just go at odd times and at any moment. That was when we had to start her with adult diapers. At first she would decline and said she could go on without it, but pretty soon she had to use it whether she like to or not. In the beginning she preferred to wear it herself, as the symptoms worsen soon the nurses has to help her and I slowly learn how to as well. It broke my heart to see my mother being embarrass to ask me to help her. Soon she began telling me stories of how I was with diapers when I was younger, and soon she was ok and comfortable with me changing her diapers.

With all the tubes and wires attached to her body, it was hard for her to take baths at water CANNOT be in contact with the tubes and wires. And with being the only daughter, soon I took charge for bathing my mother. It brought tears to my eyes, when I think back at how happy she was, after each time that I shampoo and wipes her with scented shower gels. She was soo grateful, that It made me feel guilty. It was my responsibility to help her, and I do. But seeing that small things that I NOW do means soo much to her, it just made me realize all the years that I took HER for granted.

I have appreciated all she has ever done for me, but the last 2-3 months of taking care of her I was really aware how little I do for her. And that will always be something I will regret and will 
haunt me for the rest of my life…. =(

{ to be continued in Part IV}




No comments:

Post a Comment